CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bad dates continued. . .

My parents last house was being finished, but the workers were oh so slow to finish up some of the projects. I came home from Boston to visit during this time and my mom wanted to see if I could encourage the guys to do some extra work that wasn't on the official "list" that the contractor had.  Strange how my being around the job site increased worker attendance and productivity.
Once the word got out that there was a cute twenty something year old girl on the job site, the man in charge of the crew actually showed up and amazingly found things to work on in the house. (We'll call him Jake.) We weren't complaining. At least things were getting done.
He had a birthday coming up and invited me to his birthday party. I reluctantly agreed.  I didn't know him from Adam, but still accepted the invite.
He came and picked me up and told me that his Tongan friends were roasting a pig in their backyard and that's what we were going to be doing. One thing I know is that you don't want to be the only white person in a crowd of Tongans, it's awkward at best. He told me his parents were coming, his dad was a Bishop, and that there were a number of kids that would be there as well. I still felt odd but how bad could it possibly be with his parents there? Ha 
There were kids there, but they were all kept in the house as his friends were all drinking and they didn't want them around.
First problem - I didn't have a car. Second problem - his truck was his baby, he'd already told me numerous times that no one else had ever driven his truck, it just wasn't allowed.
His friends were pretty drunk when I got there, I'm pretty sure the party started a couple of hours prior to my arrival, and they were still going strong on the beers. They weren't quiet and they most certainly were not acting like gentlemen, I was the only girl outside. I finally got fed up with all the comments and innuendos and escaped to the inside, which was awkward as well. The kids finished what they were eating and then left and the two women there were not overly friendly to say the least.
Jake's parents came inside to meet me, awkward again, and then they left the party. They'd only been there for about ten minutes, I about died.
So there I sat in some woman's kitchen, who I'd never met, with a bunch of drunk guys outside getting more and more drunk. What the heck does one do?
After an hour of being at this lovely party, Jake came in and gave me the keys to his truck and told me he'd call me when he was done. I was so excited to leave I nearly ran to the truck.
I went to my friends to hang out until he called me, I figured it would be about two to three hours. Half an hour after I'd left he called to say he was done. I was so confused I asked him a few times if he was sure he was ready to leave. The pig wasn't finished and the cake and song obviously hadn't been done either.
When I picked him up he said that after I'd left he'd ripped them all a new one and that he was leaving the party early because they were all acting like such buffoons. I was shocked.
You're probably thinking that with the way it turned out it wasn't that bad of a date, but it wasn't over.
He had called a few other friends to go do something and so we were meeting up with them. His friends lived in a mobile home in Payson, enough said. Neither of them had dates and they were playing cards. I figured that cards couldn't be too bad, until they dealt my hand. They were playing cards with nude women on the back. So, I sat on the nasty old couch and watched them play.
Had the night ended there I would've been so excited, but no it still wasn't over.
I'm pretty sure he could tell I was uncomfortable with the situation AGAIN. I'm not one to keep quiet when something is bothering me and even though it was his birthday and I was obviously the reason that he was having to leave parties, but I couldn't pass up the snide remarks about the playing cards.
So, he took me to his house, which was also his parents house, which made me feel much better. He put on a movie that he LOVED . . . American Outlaws. Honestly, one of the longest most boring western shows ever created.
Overall, the fact that he respected me enough to leave both of his parties was very kind. The fact that he thought that I'd actually enjoy either of those parties was annoying. And showing me one of the most boring movies in the world afterwards? Overall I felt bad for him and for his birthday being a stinky one, but I was so glad when he finally took me home.  

1 comments:

Steven said...

This is actually Michelle, even though it says Steve! Whatever happened to going to dinner and a movie? I love how our generation of boys/men can't possible take a women out without their friends. I always hated when some guy said, "Hey do you want to go out this Friday.....my friends are getting together......please give me a break, you are supposed to be a grown up!