CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Alexis' birth

I haven't fully recorded the births of any of the other kids and I wanted to make sure they were written down for future use, ie when they are teenagers or parents themselves.

I had preterm labor for the second and third trimesters and I had bed rest for nearly four weeks. When they took me off the medication and let me get up and move around nothing happened. Finally FIVE days after my due date Dr. Eric decided to induce me. 
Before I went to the hospital, John and I went and grabbed a Jamba Juice and then stopped by Wendy's for lunch with my family. We were in the hospital room by 1 pm and then they started hooking everything up and getting the pitocin going. Alexis' heart rate was dropping lower than they would like so they broke my water and attached the fetal monitor to her head to keep better track of her heart rate. They went so far as to tell me that if it didn't fix itself they would c-section her. Luckily Dr. Eric came shortly after and calmed them all down. I was stuck between a three and five for hours and hours. Once I was five centimeters dilated it took off and I was at a ten when they checked again an hour later. At the transition stage as they call it, my body decided that it didn't appreciate what was going on. I was hooked up to oxygen and had to take off the oxygen mask every contraction so I could use their pink buckets to empty what was left in my stomach. After pushing for an hour and half she finally came out!
When she came out, lets not lie, she was hideous. Her nose was swollen, she had two black eyes, bright red hair, a deep red tongue that she kept sticking out like a snake and some swollen lips. I will take the blame for the red tongue, I had Jana Hogenson go to the doctors lounge and get me a red popsicle while I was laboring because I was so hungry (Ha ha). The nurses weren't happy about it when they found out, but I didn't care.
Once she came the nurses left and no one came back for hours. I kept calling them because I had to use the bathroom, my leg had fallen off the bed and I couldn't get it back up and I wanted my baby back (they took her while I was feeding her and then told me that her sugar levels were to low and needed monitoring). Needless to say I left before Alexis was 24 hours old. The nurses weren't happy and kept telling me that it wasn't allowed, but I had Dr. Eric and he told them I was leaving!! That was my last baby delivered at Mountain View Hospital.
For anyone who has had a child, you know how important the bathroom is to you and first few days. Well, when we got home our toilet was not working and the plumber couldn't get there until the next morning. I felt really bad for him when he finally got there.
Alexis was a night owl as a baby. She wouldn't go to sleep until two or three in the morning and then she'd sleep until about eight and be up for the rest of the day with small (half hour) naps a few times a day. It should have shown me what was coming later on. She also wouldn't "cry it out" in her crib. They say that if you let them cry it out after a few nights there will be no more crying it out. HA HA HA. It took SIX months of crying it out to get her to sleep. 

0 comments: