CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Madison's birth

Madison was born at 38 weeks, but I'd had the steroid shots, like I had with Alexis, so I wasn't worried about her lungs at all. 
Because my contractions don't get really painful until after they break my water, I requested that they give me the epidural first and then break my water. I think this is what slowed her birth down. When I hit five centimeters dilated I expected to go really quickly, but she went one centimeter per hour.
When Eric broke my water there was blood in it. I like to think that I'm fairly well educated about things that can go wrong and what to watch for but this one threw me for a loop. I told Eric that they never covered anything like that on the Discovery Channel and I wanted to know what it meant. Turns out that it means the placenta is ripping off and you have to be monitored extra closely. This time Eric told me that if her heart beat when funny we'd be running for a c-section. Eric doesn't tell me things unless he's positive that I need to know them, so as not to worry me. When John came back from getting some food I told him what was going on and we all settled in. Sometime during the birth Eric and the nurse came running in and started rolling me and trying to get Madison's heart beat back to normal. They were able to, and Eric just stayed sitting on the couch with Jana after that. Madison took about half an hour of pushing to get her out and she was ready to eat as soon as she came out!
After having Drew, Madison was a breeze. She wasn't a sleeper either, but she also didn't scream bloody murder like Alexis when she was put in her bed.

0 comments: