Can you see where she's putting her thumb? That's right, I've got a thumb sucker. (I tried and tried to get her to take a binki to no avail.)
This is a new trick that she's acquired in the last couple of days.
I don't know what to do with a thumb sucker. Sure there are advantages, like never forgetting to bring it or losing it somewhere. If either of those happened I'm sure that CPS would be visiting sooner rather than later. However, how do you take a thumb away? Am I going to be fighting this all through elementary school?
Thursday she took two, yes, two, couple hour long naps, it was pure heaven. Usually her naps last less than half an hour each, with some five minute naps thrown in for a good mixture. I was able to do a couple loads of dishes and laundry, play Wii with the kids, let the kids use scissors because I could watch them, eat my lunch - that one is a minor miracle in its own right, and sweep the floor and clear off my counter! I'm was almost unsure of what to do with myself to be honest. It also gave me some time for thinking and here's what I came up with: the hospital should be required to teach your baby how to take a binki before you leave. They will do this for you if you have a NICU baby but that just isn't worth it.
In the hospital they monitor and check everything, right down to bowel movements and breathing rates. They give you a video about how normal it is for your baby to cry, they tell you not to shake your baby or to leave them alone. They also have a lactation specialist who visits you whether or not you want them to. I think they should have a binki specialist because obviously some of us are inept at getting our babies to take them.
This is a new trick that she's acquired in the last couple of days.
I don't know what to do with a thumb sucker. Sure there are advantages, like never forgetting to bring it or losing it somewhere. If either of those happened I'm sure that CPS would be visiting sooner rather than later. However, how do you take a thumb away? Am I going to be fighting this all through elementary school?
Thursday she took two, yes, two, couple hour long naps, it was pure heaven. Usually her naps last less than half an hour each, with some five minute naps thrown in for a good mixture. I was able to do a couple loads of dishes and laundry, play Wii with the kids, let the kids use scissors because I could watch them, eat my lunch - that one is a minor miracle in its own right, and sweep the floor and clear off my counter! I'm was almost unsure of what to do with myself to be honest. It also gave me some time for thinking and here's what I came up with: the hospital should be required to teach your baby how to take a binki before you leave. They will do this for you if you have a NICU baby but that just isn't worth it.
In the hospital they monitor and check everything, right down to bowel movements and breathing rates. They give you a video about how normal it is for your baby to cry, they tell you not to shake your baby or to leave them alone. They also have a lactation specialist who visits you whether or not you want them to. I think they should have a binki specialist because obviously some of us are inept at getting our babies to take them.

2 comments:
Corinne didn't love the binki at first. She loved her thumb. I thought is was the cutest thing in the world to see her sucking it thumb. I have a dozen of pics just like this one of sweet than sweet Jocilyn (did I spell that right?) She actually takes the binki pretty good now, but when ever I lay her down to sleep she pops the thumb right in. I say enjoy it while you can and don't worry about when you have to break her of the habit. Just enjoy!!!!!
I used to be opposed to the thumb... however now I say let the kids do what they will if it will help them sleep on their own!! Both my boys suck their thumbs and I will not fight them over this, because it means we can have great naps (yes napS!) and nearly 12 hours at night! Sleep is wonderful... Yay for thumbs!!
Post a Comment